We use All About Spelling and it has 100 or so spelling tiles. They encourage you to get a magnetic board that is about 2 foot by 3 foot for this. The problem is I have problems knocking the magnets off and losing them. Enter my solution:
Supplies: laminated file folder (for durability), All About Spelling letter tiles , velcro (bought at Feiner supply [thanks to Jolanthe at Homeschool Creations for giving me the heads up of where to buy]), scissors
This is fairly self explanatory, but I figure I’d give you the tips I learned in making three of these.
1. Measure out the space between velcro strips and figure out the right distance. I figured out it was roughly an inch space.
2. I figured out it worked best for me not to have all of the multiple letters out at this time. There might come a day someday when the kids need them, but right now there are no double letters out, and only the 3 digraphs we’ve started on.
3. I used rubber cement to put on the labels for the different phonemic segments consonant blends, vowel teams, etc). I had originally used packing tape, but that makes it harder to pull up if I need to rearrange, which I’ve already had to do once.
4. Figure out roughly how much space you need for each section before gluing down any labels (see above comment on the packing tape). I figured out the primary alphabet needs 3 rows with some extra space left over. The vowel teams needs about 2 rows, and the consonant blends needs a row (maybe 2, wasn’t real sure yet), and the other two categories can pretty much split a row).
5. I’ve got the extra letters and such in ziploc bags right now and squirrelled away, hopefully somewhere I can find them again.
I got this idea from something I saw on pinterest, but I just spent 20 minutes scouring my boards and can’t find the original post. If you pinned this idea or have seen it, could you let me know the source so I can credit it. Also, they had a printable to some plain alphabet tiles if you don’t want to buy the AAS ones.