I got lucky when looking for books for Massachusetts and found this delightful little tale about 2 sisters who live at the lighthouse outside of Boston during the War of 1812. Their family had gone on a trip and left them in charge of the lighthouse. While everyone is gone they see soldiers from a British warship coming in to raid the town. They hurry out and trick the soldiers.
I’ll leave it to you to read the story and see how they tricked them and what the end result was. To me this was a great example of how the smallest thing can turn the tide of a battle.
supplies: empty water bottle, blue tape, acrylic paint (white, yellow, and another bright color), paint brush
1. Paint most of your water bottle white. I did this as prep work for all of the kids, but if you’re just doing this with your family you could do this step, and paint the top yellow, then read the book and it should be pretty much dry at that point……
2. Tape your pattern onto the water bottle. Lighthouses had different patterns on them so the sailors could know where they were on the coast line. Because I had rather wide tape I carefully cut it in half using an exacto knife and then taped it on.
3. Paint the top yellow. Now go read the book and wait for the paint to dry.
No really, go read it. It’s a cute story.
4. Paint the bottom with your chosen color. While you wait for it to dry go out and have fun playing!
Maybe swing a few times or chase the dog.
5. When it’s dry peel the tape off. If you’re so inclined cut a door at the bottom for your toys to go in and out of.
And of course it can always act as a rocket……..