We’ve had two weeks of light schooling, relatively light, here because I’ve been sewing like crazy trying to get all of my various projects done.
Ages and ages ago I posted asking about a shirt to go with my dress. It’s one of those long term projects I’ve been working on for ages and ages.
I found a gorgeous caramel colored silk and splurged on it. Then I cut it out on the largest size I could find of the pattern and pleated the neckline and sleeves.
For those who don’t know,this is for smocking and this is a way to put elasticity in a garment without adding elastic. It’s also a way to ensure the garment is properly modest because it’s not too form-fitting (hey, that’s one of the reasons for it back then, you have to find a way to gather 5 yards into a reasonable shirt).
So, here’s what I’ve made:
Last week I made the boys shirts, I finished up the final details on my shirt, and I made this bag:
The hand-sewing for the body of the bag and the smocking of the flap was done last summer on our drive up to Wisconsin. I just wasn’t sure until last week, exactly how I wanted to finish up the bag. I’m thinking of doing the lattice smocking on the bodice of my shirt to help cinch that in a little bit. Right now if I wear the shirt without an over dress or a corset it almost falls off of me. [Insert your own bawdy joke here]
Tomorrow, I’ll show our actual trip to the Texas Renaissance Festival.